Monday, January 9, 2012

Bright Yellow Package



I sat on my couch last night, feet propped comfortably on the coffee table, blanket nestled cozily about me. As I prepared for the first of many nighttime comedy talk shows, my thoughts were interrupted by the latest rhythmic techno beat blaring loudly from my cell. I answered cheerfully, greeted in return by the voice of a very fragile and worried friend in desperate need of a shoulder to cry on.
I listened as she carried on about a dispute at work – the usual power struggle between ranks – waiting intently for some of the steam to roll off. When asked for my opinion, I simply asked her to place herself in the shoes of the appointed enemy. I shared my perspective as an outsider, doing my best to articulate my thoughts from both ends of the spectrum in hopes of finding a middle ground between the two.
When I’d finished, I found that I was responded to with absolute silence. I waited a moment until the sound of a sigh fluttered through the speaker. “How do you do it?” she asked quite emphatically. 
Taken aback, I replied uncertainly, “Do what?”
“You know. Find the good in everyone. Sometimes it drives me absolutely bonkers. You know, not everyone is a good person. Some people really are just douchebags,” she laughed.
“Oh I suppose they can be. I think everyone has at least a little good in them, though. I like to think that when I put out a positive vibe, people respond to it, and usually I’m right.”
“I can hear you smiling missy,” she said grittily, though clearly laughing herself. She sighed again. “Though, I suppose I could use a little of that positive energy myself, huh?”
“How ‘bout I send some UPS Express first thing in the morning?”
“I suppose that will have to do. I’ll keep my eyes pealed.”
“Good. It’ll be the bright yellow package inscribed ‘I love you,’ with a big bow of course.”
“Of course.”
As I hung up the phone, it occurred to me that I do have a habit of believing that everyone has kindness somewhere inside. I suppose this position could seem a little irritating to those who see the world with a bit more scrutiny. Sure, I have my moments, but I find that overall this belief has made my life a thing of beauty.
I have, at times, had perfect strangers tell me that I am an extraordinary person for believing in them, for sharing the smallest piece of kindness. Although touched by such compliments, I do not believe that my life is any more extraordinary than the next. Every life has beauty within it. Every life is filled with inspiration each and every day. The only difference is that I choose to see the wonder in my life. My eyes are open wide each day, my heart ready to encompass the passion that is awaiting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment